The Huffstutter Family
Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Calendar | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Founded as a regular "Dunkard" Church in Sep 1821 by Elder Abraham Kern the White River Baptist Brethren Church was the second church in Indian Creek Township and located about one mile south of Fayetteville, Lawrence Co IN. It was later called the Old Union Church and also known as the Kernsí Church. Originally the members met in a grove near their homes but in 1823 they built a small log church, later replaced with a larger building and eventually a brick church was built. Their religious doctrine was changed by the Great Revival and formation of the Brethren Association under the leadership of Kerns. Abraham Kerns and his wife Susana Wilson, went from the Hinkston Creek Church at East Union in Nicholas Co., Kentucky, to the Clark Co IN Church, then to the White River Church and north to the New Hope Church near Stanford, Monroe Co IN. Kerns was named as a Bishop of the Disciples of Christ denomination at the New Hope Church. He was the son of Conrad Kerns, Brethren minister at Salisbury NC, Crane Creek Church (during the American Revolution).
|1||Indiana, Lawrence County, Tombstone|
Old Union Cemetery: Susana (Wilson) Kern, wife of Abraham Kern
|2||Indiana, Lawrence County, Tombstone|
Old Union Cemetery: Abraham Kern